- License Renewal and Exam Information
- Search Cosmetology Licenses
- Online License Renewal
- Duplicate Receipt for Online Renewal
- Duplicate Receipt for Online Application
- Order Cosmetology Law and Rule Book Online
- Duplicate Receipt for Book Order
- Change Contact Information Online
- Pay Penalties Online
- Cosmetology Exam Information
- Exam Eligibility, Exam Results and Student Hours
- Guidelines for License Applicants with Criminal Convictions
- Enforcement Plan
- Criminal History Evaluation Letter
- Schools and Continuing Education
- Forms, FAQs, Rules, Law and Inspections
- Meetings and Information
Inspector(s) will arrive and introduce themselves and present State ID.
Inspector will ask to speak to the owner or manager. If neither is available, the inspector will notify the person in charge that the inspection will proceed.
The inspection will consist of the following:
Check for required postings, forms and lists:
- Consumer complaint sign
- Current Cosmetology statute and rule book
- Foot spa record, if applicable
- Most recent inspection report
- Current school license
- Current instructor licenses (with current photo of licensee attached)
- Department requirements – Sign by time clock that states the following:
- Each student must clock in/out for himself/herself. No student may allow another person to clock in or out on behalf of that student.
- No credit shall be given for any times written in, except in a documented case of time clock failure or other situations approved by the department.
- If a student is at lunch, whether in or out of the facility, he/she must clock out.
- Students leaving the facility for any reason, including smoke breaks, must clock out, except when an instructional area on a campus is located outside the approved facility, that area is approved by the department and students are under the supervision of a licensed instructor.
- Square footage
- Required equipment
Check that each student has a permit and permit is displayed accordingly.
Check that hours are being recorded in SHEARS monthly. Check that the school is properly accounting for hours granted to students. (A random audit of students will be conducted)
Check that practical applications records are being kept by school.
Check that student records are being maintained for 48 months from student’s completion or withdrawal.
Check Implementation of Health and Sanitation standards and practices:
- Work Stations
- Implements cleaned and sanitized before use on each client
- Wet disinfectants
- Dry storage areas
- Towel storage (clean soiled)
- Shampoo area
- Hair swept up after each client
- Single use items being discarded after each use.
Check for restrooms. (hot and cold running water, clean and in working order, no chemicals stored in restroom)
Check that dispensary, furniture, and equipment are clean and in good repair in accordance with the sanitation rules.
Check for department approved sterilizer (if applicable).
Check that prohibited products are not in the school and that no prohibited practices are being performed.