- Posting Number: 0801-12
- Group/Step: B22, Position 46
- Opening Date: 08/20/12
- Closing Date: 5 p.m. on 09/04/2012
- $50,002 - $55,272 annually
The Boiler Inspector Team Leader is selected by and responsible to the Chief Boiler Inspector and performs advanced boiler inspector work. Work involves conducting quality control and assurance reviews for non-nuclear boilers, pressure vessels, and piping manufactured to the requirements of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code. Participates in the ASME nuclear survey accreditation process representing jurisdictional authority or as an observer. The Boiler Inspector Team Leader conducts accreditation reviews for National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors certification to repair and/or alter non-nuclear boilers, pressure vessels, and piping; conducts certification reviews and audits for Jurisdictional Certificate of Authorization holders to repair and/or alter non-nuclear boilers and repair, set and seal safety appliances; and performs nuclear and non-nuclear technical research, inspections and investigations and provides assistance in nuclear activities as directed. Performs as a team leader for in-service Deputy Boiler Inspectors. Work is performed under minimal supervision with considerable latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
The position is located at the North Campus 1106 Clayton Lane Austin, TX 78723
- Oversees the inspection of boilers and pressure vessels for compliance with codes, laws, rules, and regulations.
- Performs audits to ensure quality control and safety standards, as well as reviews, special inspections, and investigations to ensure compliance with state law, codes, and accreditation procedures.
- Makes recommendations to the Chief Boiler Inspector on technical matters including requests for extension, approves variances on violations noted during inspections, and conducts follow-up inspections.
- Provides counsel and technical guidance to boiler inspectors on authorized repairs and alterations to boilers.
- Directs, prepares, compiles reviews and submits reports/records, and prepares procedures to comply with applicable laws, codes, and standards.
- Consults with industry representatives and the general public on guidelines, codes, standards, and regulations to promote safety assurance programs.
- Assigns, evaluates, and monitors the work of Deputy Boiler Inspectors including reviewing inspection reports, monitoring the status of non-compliance, and ensuring inspectors follow-up for resolution. Evaluates the training needs of inspectors on an ongoing basis, developing and delivering training as needed. Provides guidance to Deputy Boiler Inspectors in prioritizing and scheduling workloads and travel.
- Represents the department when interacting with regulated industries, inspection agencies, owner/operators of boilers, manufacturers of boilers and pressure vessels, state and local authorities to ensure compliance with applicable requirements. Participates in task force meetings, conducting research and providing technical recommendations as needed.
- Prepares and conducts training seminars and presentations to boiler inspectors, industry representatives, and other interested parties.
- Provides technical guidance and establishes procedures on conducting incident/accident investigations, including establishing the priorities and methods of securing evidence.
- Testifies at hearings or before courts serving as expert witness for the agency.
- Complies with division and/or agency training requirements.
- Keeps management appropriately informed of ongoing activity and critical matters affecting the operation and well-being of the agency.
- Demonstrates a spirit of teamwork offering positive and constructive ideas, encouragement, and support of staff and teams.
- Adheres to all Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation Personnel Policies and performs other duties required to maintain field operations.
Eight (8) years experience in the construction, installation, inspection, operation, maintenance, or repair of boilers required. Graduation from an accredited four-year college or university with major course work in Engineering is preferred and may substitute for five (5) years of the experience requirement. Must receive and hold a Texas Boiler Inspector Commission within three (3) months and a National Board Commission within six (6) months of hire. Certification to hold the National’s Board’s “A” and “B” endorsements within twelve (12) months of hire and the “N” endorsement within eighteen (18) months of hire required. Certification by the National Board of Boiler and Pressure Vessel Inspectors as a Review Team Leader and by the American Society of Mechanical Engineers as an “ASME Designee” required within six (6) months of hire. Must possess a valid class C driver’s license and proof of auto liability insurance and an acceptable driving record from the Department of Public Safety.
The successful candidate will have: Thorough knowledge of the State of Texas Boiler Law and Rules; Extensive knowledge of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers Boiler and Pressure Vessel Code as it applies to boilers and pressure vessels and the ability to interpret all applicable Sections; Adequate knowledge and skills in the review, development and analysis of quality control systems and programs for in design, fabrication, installation, repair and inspection of nuclear and non-nuclear applications; Ability to coach, mentor, and train Deputy Boiler Inspectors, as well as assign, evaluate, and monitor their work. Ability to effectively negotiate and bring resolution to compliance/enforcement matters.
Applications may be picked up at the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation, 920 Colorado, 1st floor, Austin, Texas. Applications may also be downloaded from the Texas Workforce Commission's web site at http://www.twc.state.tx.us/jobs/job.html.
Mail, e-mail or fax applications to:
Human Resources Office
P.O. Box 12157
Austin Texas 78711
Fax (512) 475-3377
Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of State Applications. Applications not completely filled out may be rejected. Only typed or legibly printed applications will be considered.
This job is not covered by the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA).
AN EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
TDLR provides a total compensation package that enables us to attract, motivate, and retain highly skilled and talented employees, including a merit system, full use of salary ranges, performance awards, retention and recruitment bonuses. TDLR is ranked as one of the Top 25 mid-sized employers in Greater Austin.