About the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation
Who We Are
TDLR is the primary state agency responsible for licensing and regulating a broad range of occupations, businesses, facilities and equipment in Texas. Since 1909, we have helped small businesses and consumers by protecting the health and safety of all Texans and ensuring they are served by qualified professionals.
Chapter 51 of the Texas Occupations Code establishes TDLR and sets the framework for the agency’s responsibilities. The Texas Commission of Licensing and Regulation is TDLR’s governing board and policy-making body, made up of seven public members appointed by the Governor with the consent of the Texas Senate. By law, no commissioner may have any business interests in a profession regulated by TDLR.
The agency and Commission work in partnership with 31 advisory boards composed of dedicated public servants. Board members represent the citizens of Texas and the industries and professions regulated by TDLR.
To honor the trust of all Texans, safeguard the public, and provide a fair and efficient licensing and regulatory environment at the lowest possible cost.
To be the leader in public service by creating innovative, low-cost licensing and regulatory "next" practices, and cultivating highly-engaged employees who provide exceptional customer service.
To achieve smaller, smarter government, we:
- Honor the public by being fair, open, and consistent
- Serve the citizens of Texas responsibly through transparency and efficiency
- Seek input and feedback from our stakeholders and employees
- Provide clear and simple communication
- Reduce licensing costs and regulatory burdens
- Value the dignity and worth of our customers and coworkers
- Foster innovation and change by challenging the status quo
- Pursue efficient and cost-effective public-private partnerships
- Develop core value-driven leaders
- Recruit, retain, and reward high-performing employees
Accountability - We are each responsible to the citizens of Texas and take great pride in our successes. We own up to our mistakes and acknowledge them as opportunities for growth.
Customer Service - We provide quick, easy, and accessible service, treating each person with honor and respect.
Innovation - We foster a culture of creativity to generate bold ideas, deliver valuable change, and position the agency for the future.
Integrity - We are trustworthy, honest, and ethical in all we do.
Open and Free Communication - We seek participation from all our customers and coworkers and listen to all viewpoints.
Respect - We value our customers and coworkers, treating everyone with courtesy and dignity.
Teamwork - We succeed together by combining our talents, passion, and ingenuity to serve the citizens of Texas.