Ten Most Common Code Violations in Cosmetology Salons
1. Failure to have rest room on or near premises without stored chemicals. - 16 Tex. Admin. Code Ch. 83.114(e). Every establishment shall provide at least one restroom located on or near the premises of the establishment. For public safety, chemical supplies shall not be stored in the restroom.
2. Establishment, furniture, equipment, and/or fixtures are unclean or are not in good repair. - 16 Tex. Admin. Code Ch. 83.114(a). Establishments shall keep the floors, walls, ceilings, shelves, furniture, furnishings, and fixtures clean and in good repair. Any cracks, holes, or other similar disrepair not readily accessible for cleaning shall be repaired or filled in to create a smooth, washable surface.
3. Salon failed to maintain a list of all booth renters (independent contractors). - 16 Tex. Admin Code Ch.83.71(c). Salons may lease space to an independent contractor who holds a booth rental (independent contractor) license. The lessor to an independent contractor must maintain a list of all renters that includes the name of renter and the cosmetology license number of the renter. The lessor must supply the department inspector with a list of renters upon request.
4. Failure to display Notification of Public Interest Information and Participation. -Tex. Occupations Code Section 1603.151(2). Salons must notify consumers and service recipients of the name, mailing address, and telephone number of the department for the purpose of directing complaints to the department regarding barbering and cosmetology on a sign prominently displayed in the place of business.
5. Failure to attach current photograph to the front of license, certificate, or permit. - 16 Tex. Admin. Code 83.70(f). A current photograph of the licensee approximately 11/2 inches by 11/2 inches shall be attached to the front of the license, certificate, or permit.
6. Salon failed to post the most recent inspection report issued by the department in a conspicuous place clearly visible to the public. - 16 Tex. Admin. Code Ch. 83.71(m) Cosmetology establishments shall display in the establishment, in a conspicuous place clearly visible to the public, a copy of the establishment’s most recent inspection report issued by the department.
7. Failed to post individual licenses and booth rental (independent contractor) licenses at the licensee's work station or in a notebook. 16 Tex. Occupations Code Section 1602.401; 16 Tex. Admin. Code 83.70(e). Individual licenses and booth rental (independent contractor) licenses may be posted at the licensee's work station in the public view or be made available in a notebook at the salon reception desk.
8. Failure to keep all products used in the conduct of business properly labeled in compliance with OSHA requirements. 16 Tex. Admin. Code Ch. 83.102(m). Each cosmetology establishment shall keep all products used in the conduct of their business properly labeled in compliance with OSHA requirements.
9. Failure to store clean implements in a clean, dry, debris-free environment or failure to separate clean implements from soiled implements or non-cosmetology supplies. - 16 Tex. Admin Code Ch. 83.102(f). All clean and disinfected implements and materials when not in use shall be stored in a clean, dry, debris-free environment including but not limited to drawers, cases, tool belts, rolling trays, or hung from hooks. They must be stored separate from soiled implements and materials. Ultraviolet electrical sanitizers are permissible for use as a dry storage container. Non-cosmetology related supplies must be stored in separate drawers or locations.10. Failure to keep a record of the date and time of each daily or bi-weekly cleaning. - 16 Tex. Admin. Code Ch. 83.108(e,g,k,l). For whirlpool foot spas, a record shall be made on a department-approved form of the date and time of each cleaning and disinfecting indicating whether the cleaning was a daily or bi-weekly cleaning. This record shall be made at or near the time of cleaning and disinfecting and shall indicate if a spa was not used during any individual work day. Download the department-approved Whirlpool Foot Spa Cleaning and Disinfection Record Form.