New Technology Variance 08-02, KONE Rope Sizes
February 4, 2008
Mr. Rich Gadbury
Business Development Director, Central Region
801 Hammond Street, Suite 400
Dallas, TX 75019
Re: Application for New Technology Variance-“Rope Sizes” NTV-08-02
Dear Mr. Gadbury:
This is to acknowledge receipt of your above referenced application dated January 17, 2008. Based on the written information previously submitted by your organization, telephone conversations with people in your organization and after consultation and review within the Department, the Department is pleased to inform you that your request for New Technology Variances for the 6 mm diameter governor ropes and 8 mm suspension ropes has been approved contingent on the following conditions:
1. This approval is based on written information submitted for the 6 mm and 8 mm Product, Steel Wire Rope on 1-17-08. Any deviation from the product submitted for approval that would violate any provision of the current or any future adopted standard would require another New Technology Variance application and approval by the Department. Changes that do not result in a violation of any current or future adopted standard will not require another New Technology Variance application. Changes in the design of the approved wire rope product that do not negatively impact the safety factors provided or the ultimate breaking strength or be a violation of any current or future adopted standard will not require another New Technology Variance application, but will require notice in writing to the Department documenting said changes.
2. The requirements for which these New Technology Variances are based on the ASME A17.1b-2003 edition of the Safety Code for Elevators which is the currently adopted standard. The approvals are granted for:
a. Requirement 188.8.131.52 minimum diameter of governor ropes
b. Requirement 2.20.4 minimum diameter of suspension ropes
3. The safety factors of the 6 mm and 8 mm steel wire ropes must meet the code requirements stated in the documents submitted for approval.
4. The pitch diameter of governor sheaves and governor tension sheaves and the pitch diameters of sheaves used with suspension ropes shall comply with the requirements of 184.108.40.206 and Table 220.127.116.11 and 18.104.22.168 respectively.
5. Until such time as the 6 mm and 8 mm wire ropes are fully compliant with the adopted standard in Texas, all sales contracts for equipment utilizing 6 mm governor and/or 8 mm suspension wire ropes will contain a clause that informs buyers that this product has been approved under the New Technology provisions of Chapter 754. As an alternative, you may provide buyers with a copy of this approval letter in lieu of a clause in the sales contract.
6. A copy of this approval letter shall be maintained in the Maintenance Control program for the life of the equipment or until such time as the equipment meets all adopted standards.
7. Until such time as the 6 mm and 8 mm steel wire rope product is fully compliant with the adopted standard in Texas, a quarterly report of the installation of the equipment with these ropes shall be provided to the Department on a quarterly basis within 10 calendar days of the end of each quarter, beginning with the quarter ending March 31, 2008. The report shall contain, at a minimum, the street address; manufacturer’s identifying number and decal number.
This approval shall apply to all Kone 6 mm and 8 mm wire rope installations installed anywhere in the State of Texas, except the City of Houston. The City of Houston must also approve this product for installation within their jurisdiction after approval by the Department and that approval must be requested directly from the City of Houston.
The approval by the Department shall remain in effect unless revoked. A copy of this approval will be forwarded to all licensed inspectors and will be posted on the Department website. Inspectors shall be informed that the requirements covered by the above variances are not to be cited on any inspection reports. No waivers or delays will be required.
If you agree with the conditions contained in this approval letter, please so indicate by signing and dating a copy of this letter and returning it to me for our files. If we can be of any further assistance in this matter, please do not hesitate to contact us.
Chief Elevator Inspector
Building and Mechanical Section