Used Automotive Parts Recyclers
Military Service Members, Veterans, and Spouses - For more information about obtaining a TDLR license or renewing a TDLR license that expired while serving on active duty, please go to the Military Outreach home page.
If you operate a Used Automotive Parts Recycling Business in Texas, you must have a license issued by the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation (TDLR). Depending on the type of business you operate, you may also need a license from the new Texas Department of Motor Vehicles (TxDMV).
Previously, when licensed by the TxDMV, you could choose from one or a combination of the following six salvage vehicle dealer license types: New Automobile Dealer; Salvage Pool Operator; Used Automobile Dealer; Salvage Vehicle Broker; Used Vehicle Parts Dealer; or Salvage Vehicle Rebuilders. The Used Vehicle Parts Dealer licensing was transferred to TDLR. The name was changed to Used Automotive Parts Recycler.
The remaining five license types continue to be regulated by TxDMV and did not transfer to TDLR. Depending on your type of business, you may now need licenses from both TDLR and TxDMV.
Questions? Email TDLR at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 800-803-9202
There are two license types in the Used Automotive Parts Recyclers program:
1. USED AUTOMOTIVE PARTS RECYCLING BUSINESS LICENSE
To be eligible for a Used Automotive Parts Recycling Business License, an applicant must:
- Submit a completed TDLR Used Automotive Parts Recycling Business Application;
- Provide a valid federal tax ID number (sole proprietors may use a Social Security number);
- Maintain a general liability insurance policy in an amount not less than $250,000 and attach a certificate of insurance to your application;
- Provide proof of a storm water permit (see below);
- Pass a criminal background check (for all principals of the company); and
- Pay a fee of $75.
Storm Water Permit: If you’ve applied for a storm water permit, but have not yet received it, you may still apply for this license. Information about how to get your storm water permit is available from the Texas Commission on Environmental Quality at (512) 239-1000, or online at www.tceq.state.tx.us/nav/permits/sw_permits.html.
2. USED AUTOMOTIVE PARTS RECYCLING EMPLOYEE LICENSE
If you work at a Used Automotive Parts Recycling Business in Texas, you may need a Used Automotive Parts Recycler Employee License. Licenses are required for employees who acquire a vehicle or used automotive parts and sell used automotive parts.
To be eligible for this license, an applicant must:
- Submit a completed TDLR Used Automotive Parts Recycler Employee Application;
- Be 18 years of age;
- Pass a criminal background check; and
- Pay the required fee of $25
Sign Up for Email Updates
Stay up-to-date on recent developments with email notifications. Get info on changes to laws and rules, important notices, upcoming meetings, and more.
Advisory Board Meetings
Previous Meeting - October 18, 2017
The Used Automotive Parts Recyclers Advisory Board met October 18, 2017 in Austin. The agenda and staff reports (PDF) are available online. The meeting was archived and is available on TDLR's YouTube channel.
FOR MORE INFORMATION - Send an email to automotive.parts.recyclers @tdlr.texas.gov or call (800) 803-9202 or (512) 463-6599.